Just as construction workers need certain tools to build a house or a building, so do mystery shoppers in order to successfully complete assignments. The right tools for mystery shoppers allow them to perform their individual assignments according to the instructions set by the company, help them to submit more professional reports on time, and best of all, to maintain a good reputation as a mystery shopper.
If you are a mystery shopper, keep in mind that simply enjoying shopping will not get you through the entire task. You need the appropriate tools to help you not only accomplish your assignment, but to finish it more efficiently and effectively.
In order to be a successful mystery shopper, here are a few tools you will need:
- A reliable computer with a good internet connection. Almost everything is automated and internet-based. Not only do you need an internet connection to submit your reports, but that is also where you will keep your eye out for new assignments.
- A car. Unless you plan to stick to the limited assignments in your immediate area, you’re going to need a car. Not only is it more convenient and reliable that public transportation, but it also allows you to take on assignments that are in more rural areas. If you don’t have a car, see if you can borrow one or purchase an inexpensive used vehicle.
- Maps or a GPS. Not all locations stated in your assignments are familiar, and you want to be sure you don’t get lost, so you’re not stressed when you begin your assignment.
- Yellow pages or telephone directory. You may need to call an establishment once in a while to find out which days of the week they are open and when. You don’t want to waste your time by showing up when they are closed. Moreover, some establishments such as restaurants may require reservations.
- Mobile phone. Be sure the phone number for the mystery shopping company is programmed into your phone, so you can call them if you have any questions prior to doing your task.