You’ve traveled far and wide today to conduct several mystery shops. After hours of observation, driving, wolfing down a fast food meal that doesn’t fit in with your summer swim suit plans, and purchasing a $5 trinket that you had to come with an excuse to return 30 minutes later, you now have to write up your reports.
There are some shoppers who are kind enough to let the mystery shopping company know they’ve completed their shop. They send an email or leave a voice mail saying “I’m done.” Then they flip on the television and get caught up in Dancing with the Stars or turn on their tablet and become fascinated with cat videos.
The mental break is needed – we know!
But… they have this sense that they are ‘done’ since they contacted the mystery shopping company and forget about writing the report.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t help either the MSC or our client to know you completed the shop on time. Having a submitted report with details of your experience is what is considered a completed shop.
We understand your work is hard and you are tired – but not until we have your report can we consider processing your payment.
Here are 5 tips on getting your reports done efficiently, quickly and in on time!
- Don’t overbook. No one can shop and drive for 7 hours, complete 4 shops and return home to write up four fantastic reports filled with useful information. Acknowledge the time it takes to drive, conduct the shop and write up the report – and schedule accordingly.
- Take notes after each shop. Whether you write on a pad or paper, plug info into your phone or tablet or create a voice message, record as many of the details – especially those specific to the questions on the report – immediately after you conduct the shop. What is best is to have a printed copy of the report form to write answers next to. If you do this after each shop, when you return to your computer, you will not have to tax your memory… just your fingers as they type.
- This is your job- treat it like one. When you sit down to write up your reports make everyone around you aware that you are ‘working’ and are not to be interrupted unless it is life-threatening. Eliminate the distractions and disruptions, and you will get that report completed in no time.
- Don’t copy and paste. If you happened to luck out with a string of shops for the same store (makes it easy to remember what to do and look for!) – do NOT try to save time by copy and pasting your comments from the first report with the intent to ‘change it up a bit”. Time and again our reviewers find that shoppers forget to change names and circumstances. It will take you far more time and cost you much more in pay to revise several reports then it will to be original in each of your comment boxes from the get-go.
- Ask for an extension – and honor it! Even if you just need a few more hours, send the email or leave the voice mail to your scheduler or account manager. We live real lives too. We do ‘get it’. But if we don’t know that you intend to finish it by noon today, we will have to send that annoying ‘where is it’ email’ and leave a note in your file. Inform the MSC that you know you will be late, when you will have it completed and then get it done and submitted on time.
No matter what your line of work, there are always expectations about what needs to be done and limitations as to what can be done. Make sure yours line up before you schedule a shop so that your completed product – your report – is a reflection of the hard-working, customer experience expert that you are!
Let us know your methods of writing and submitting reports efficiently and well-written. Sharing your tips means you care about the success of others too!